If anyone out there is using VMware Horizon, you’re probably using OSOT (OS optimization tool) to optimze your images
Some people have recently found issues patching their gold images. If this affects you here’s how to fix it.
Back in September a new verison of the tool came out which supported the latest versions of Windows 10, but a few people have noticed an issue when trying to patch their gold image. Basically you run OSOT on your gold image to provision your desktops from. In the past, in order to patch your gold image you simply restarted the Windows Update service. Some of you may have found that this no longer works. This is due to the way Windows 10 controls updates. As a result we had to disable them in a more complex way and as a result, just restarting the service no longer works.
Here is the process to enable windows update on your gold image.
- Export HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate
- Delete HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate
- Set Windows Updates Service to manual
- Run ‘gpupdate’
- Run ‘usoclient StartScan’ – This will scan for Updates. Or you can run this manually through the UI.
- After patching re-import the exported hive, and disable the service.
After following this process you should have a patched gold image with the service disabled again. You simply need to repeat this process every time you want to patch your image.